Photo Cred

Friday, August 23, 2013

Iron Pyrite, 2013


What?  Fool's Gold?


Yes.






There are a few steps between here and there, but I now have an official entry into the NUE Series championship race, the Fool's Gold 100 in Dahlonega, Georgia.

I also have a plane ticket (thanks Missy!) and a room reservation at a cute little hostel just outside of town.  And, thanks to the eternal support of my parents and Gary Faris, we even have a plane ticket for Erica to join me.

Georgia in September--sounds humid.  (Sorry about your hair, E.)  But the temps look reasonable and I hear the riding is damn fine.  Word is it's 100 miles of fast riding on a great singlespeed course through the Chattahoochee National Forest, with what appears to be a fast singlespeed field.

The steps to getting there?  Primarily the Point2Point.  See, this whole racing-in-Georgia thing is predicated on the idea that I might be in contention for the NUE singlespeed championship.  The Pfluginator has taken the title for something like the last 5 years--it's time to give him a fight.  We've faced off twice so far this season; he took first at the True Grit 100, and I finished first at the Tatanka 100.  Now we're both riding strong at this point in the season, and set up for a good showdown at the series finale.

But first I need to win the singlespeed division at the P2P in order to be in contention.

No pressure, right?

With a history of flatting and course errors, I have unfinished business to take care of in Park City this year.  Training has gone as well as can be expected, and I've kicked my own ass at a couple of local races in the last couple of weekends.  (Racing is the best training, right?)  Now I just need to drop the hammer at the P2P, and then rest up quickly to be ready to compete with Gerry for the Fool's Gold a week later.

Oof.


Towards that end, I added some inspiration to the LESter's toptube:










(By the way, if you're looking for some late-season competition and you're interested in traveling, there are still entries available for the Fool's Gold--let's get out there and crush ourselves!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment